Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
HOME FORUM HELP DKP SEARCH LOGIN REGISTER 
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Windows 7  (Read 3258 times)
zate
Mascot
2girls1cup

View Profile Email
« on: September 28, 2009, 12:52:25 PM »

Windows 7 system requirements If you want to run Windows 7 on your PC, here's what it takes:

1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)

16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
Additional requirements to use certain features:

Internet access (fees may apply)

Depending on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware

For some Windows Media Center ( http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/whats-new-possibilities.aspx ) functionality a TV tuner and additional hardware may be required

Windows Touch ( http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/whats-new-possibilities.aspx?tab=5 ) and Tablet PCs require specific hardware

HomeGroup ( http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/whats-new.aspx?tab=6 ) requires a network and PCs running Windows 7

DVD/CD authoring requires a compatible optical drive

BitLocker requires Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2

BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive

Windows XP Mode ( http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/features/whats-new-work.aspx?tab=2 ) requires an additional 1 GB of RAM, an additional 15 GB of available hard disk space, and a processor capable of hardware virtualization with Intel VT or AMD-V turned on

Music and sound require audio output

Product functionality and graphics may vary based on your system configuration. Some features may require advanced or additional hardware.

Did someone call me?  I heard there was an emergengy!
zate
Mascot
2girls1cup

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 12:54:09 PM »

Post created for feedback, problems, troubleshooting, tips for ppl running WoW on windows 7.  Post what you find here.

Thelnie
Mascot
lemonparty

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 01:54:39 PM »

I've been running Windows 7 on my 6 year old ultralight laptop with these bare minimum requirements and it works fine with the more pretty bells and whistles turned off.

I also installed it on my desktop on a separate partition and I was able to run WoW from its original directory on a different Windows Vista partition. It works great and patches the same.

I love the new taskbar. It's really customizable and easily accessible. I also like dragging large windows to the left and right sides of the monitor for instant perfectly split screen yumminess. Also, if you hover over the little preview of the window on the taskbar, all your open windows become transparent except the window of the preview you've hovered over so you can see it without actually clicking the window forward of wasting time closing your windows just to look at it. Also,
right clicking icons on the taskbar yield a lot more relevant options that previous Windows versions.

Hope this helps!

Videl

Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 02:01:05 PM »

I can't think of a situation where if you're using Vista, that Windows 7 wouldn't be better.
Asmo
Mascot
2girls1cup

Chage has come to America.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 02:22:44 PM »

I've had a couple of silly bugs with W7. Sometimes if I go watch tv for a bit and have lunch I'll come back to my PC and while the keyboard works fine the only way of getting the mouse to work is to restard the machine.

I also can't use my webcam anymore until they release new drivers, it doesn't work with the vista ones for some reason.
Athanyel
Guild Member
lemonparty

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 05:04:08 PM »

I've been extremely pleased with Windows 7 so far at work.  I'm waiting on my keys to arrive from the campus store so I can install it at home.
Dleduc02

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 08:31:53 AM »

School FINALLY uploaded it to their server, I should be running it tonight, hoorah!
zate
Mascot
2girls1cup

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 08:44:36 AM »

I have been running it at work and have liked it (32 bit).  I am going to try to install it on my personal machine (64 bit) this weekend.  I am hoping that dragging and dropping the WoW folder will work and that I won't have to do a complete reinstall WoW.

Has anyone had problems just coping over the wow folder?  I could just do an upgrade from XP but would rather do a clean windows install.

aquasheep
Administrator
Mr.Hands

sheeeeeeeeeeeee

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »

I could just do an upgrade from XP but would rather do a clean windows install.

You can't, actually. Windows 7 doesn't support in-place upgrade from XP, and it especially doesn't support an in-place upgrade from XP x64. Your only option is really to do a clean install, and use their Transfer utility to copy files over.

Also I'll warn you that their Transfer utility does not copy program files, only data and settings. If you want to keep your WoW folder from XP->7, you need to back it up to a separate hard drive or partition before installing.

With Vista, I didn't have to touch the WoW folder when I did the in-place upgrade to 7, it just worked seamlessly out of the box.
zate
Mascot
2girls1cup

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 09:56:30 AM »

I was just going to copy "c:/program files/wow" to a USB hard drive.  Clean format to W7 x64 and then copy the folder back over.  If that doesn't work I will just do a clean install of WoW.

Not wanting to do a 20 disc reinstalling of wow is part of it but last time I reformatted I lost all my UI settings.  I copied everything in the WTF/user interface folders maybe I just did it wrong but stuff wasn't the same so I ended up having to completely uninstall and redo all my mods.

Thelnie
Mascot
lemonparty

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 02:30:07 PM »

For reference

Athanyel
Guild Member
lemonparty

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 03:31:45 PM »

In awesome news, our campus agreement allows us to buy a 32-bit and 64-bit copy of Windows 7.

If you're going to buy a copy from your school, check to see if you can get two copies (should you have multiple computers and the need for more than one copy).
Pages: [1] Print

« previous next »
Jump to:  

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function show_bottomAds()